This entry was posted on Friday, December 3rd, 2010 at 1:01 pm and is filed under Feline illnesses. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Why do we sometimes capture pictures of licking cats? In the first place, why do cats lick themselves? Cats developed the habit of licking to be clean, to get rid of fleas, to stay cool, to absorb Vitamin D and to release their stress. If a cat is licking excessively and is causing a health problem, you may need to take kitty to a veterinarian the soonest.
Several medical reasons for a cat’s licking:
• It could be a neuropathy problem – wherein the nerve is receiving a signal from the brain which tells the cat to lick.
• It could be a brain perception disorder – what is known as encephalitis, or a soft tissue or bone inflammation problem, or an allergic disease.
• It could be a symptom of a disease such as feline leukemia – this is when cats become anemic and lick odd things such as window panes, walls, or cement walks
• It is a sign that they are infested with cat parasites such as fleas – you need to bathe cats occasionally. Use a flea shampoo to kill fleas and remove dander that can cause human allergies.
• It could also be an allergic reaction – especially when they can inhale lots of allergens. It has been estimated that thirty five percent of all cats suffer from food allergies.
• It could be a sign of nutritional deficiency – although this is not carefully researched. This happens when you suspect the cat’s diet as the cause of licking.
• Senility or cat’s being in old age – in this case, you may have to live with the licking. You just need to groom the cats frequently to reduce the hazard of hairball formation.
• If a cat is bored – you can get another cat to be her playmate.
• If a cat weaned too early – you can disrupt the licking with playtime.
• If a cat is under stress – bear in mind that a stressed cat needs a quiet place and lots of love and attention. Stop giving punishment for her misbehavior because this will add more stress.
Apart from what is listed, there is one good thing that licking implies. Some cats lick us because they want to show their love and affection. They just want to say “I like you” or “You are the boss”. On the other hand, there are also normal and funny cat licks. Like a cover up for their embarrassment after accidentally falling off the chair. It must be fun to capture pictures of cats during these instances.